We are looking for a passionate, highly motivated and talented Head of Engineering to oversee and drive our product engineering activities and delivery. The ideal candidate would be a strong leader and team player at the same time, as well as people manager with excellent planning skills. In your role, you’d be providing vision and direction to our engineering teams.
Kahoot! is one of the world’s fastest growing learning brands; we are on a mission to make learning awesome. We have over 50 million knowledge-hungry users every month in 180+ countries. Being part of Kahoot! is an opportunity to directly impact millions of people’s lives – and that’s how we measure our success.
As Head of Engineering, your background includes experience in startup growth and scaling up organizations. You know how to empower teams to focus and get things done, but also understand the importance of stakeholder management, communication, and transparency across teams. You are highly regarded as a strong technologist, leader, and manager, both within your current role and your professional network. You are a pragmatic problem-solver who is able to rally your team towards thinking positively to resolve any challenge that the team encounters. You share our passion for shipping the right product, the right way at high speed.
You will report to our Chief Technology Officer.
- Lead and manage a high performing team of more than 20 engineers across our Oslo, London and Austin offices
- Foster a collaborative, innovative and pragmatic way to create cutting edge software and services
- Coach and mentor the team, including the tech leads
- Quickly become recognized as an expert on Kahoot! products, architecture, and systems
- Help us deliver quicker and better by supporting our efforts for attracting world-class engineering talent
- Execute on and deliver the product roadmap by working closely with the VP of Products and by motivating the team to deliver.
- Experience in building and managing multiple, ideally geographically distributed, engineering teams
- A proven track record in technical leadership and delivering on product roadmaps on time and on budget
- Excellent communication skills
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- 10+ years of managing engineering operations both online and embedded
- Experience as a software developer and technical lead
- Deep knowledge of the full software development life cycle and Agile methodologies
Kahoot!’s core technology
The technology platform behind Kahoot! was originally created for arcade gaming on the cinema screens. After various pivots, including the platform being used to remote-control a mechanical bull, we ended up putting it in the cloud and created what Kahoot! is today.
At Kahoot! we believe that:
- Our multi-disciplinary teams (‘squads’) should collaborate with our support teams – such as infrastructure, data or marketing – to ensure the best outcomes. These teams will have their own vision so that the squads can benefit from their insights
- Giving our squads the autonomy and the tools to be able to deploy themselves will make us move quicker
- Having smaller separate services which do one thing well will make us more flexible
- We should always investigate new technology with the ultimately goal of using the right tools for the right purpose
- We should aspire to 100% uptime; historically we’ve got close to this due to our highly redundant, multi-cloud infrastructure setup and having very few / no single points of failure
- Our people are creative, so by giving them regular forums to express this we get more innovation and new ideas from our hackathons, which are an important part of our company culture
Kahoot! has a competitive benefits package, including an employee Options Scheme.
As a global company with three premium offices worldwide (London, UK / Oslo, Norway / Austin, USA), you will have a network of locales to exchange between as you mature with the company.
OSLO: Located right between City Hall and Parliament, our Oslo offices are part of the Mesh community of start-ups – a great place to meet like-minded people and exchange ideas.
If you talk to anyone working at Kahoot!, they will tell you that one of greatest perks is being able to see how the work you do puts a smile on the face of kids and teachers all around the world.