Crafted using a design-led approach and game-based pedagogy, Kahoot! is on a mission to make learning something that everyone wants to connect with.
With over 50 million monthly active users and a public library of over 20 million games on our platform, kahoots are being played in over 180 countries, both in the classroom and beyond.
Our teams, based in Oslo, London and Austin TX, share a philosophy to build products that engage the heart, hand and mind to create a more social, meaningful and powerful learning experience.
At Kahoot! we champion a positive culture of collaborative learning and innovation. We’ve been growing steadily over the past year, and now as a team of 53, we’ve raised more fundings, launched two mobile apps, Kahoot! Plus (a new version for organizations) and formulated our strategy for the coming year. We all have an exciting journey ahead!
Your day at Kahoot!
You’ll be working across all of the Stack in Kahoot!. As a server-side engineer, you will work on products that affect millions of our users using various technologies including large-scale systems, big data platform, and distributed systems. We are looking for an engineer with ‘full stack’ mentality who is able to move quickly between low-level networking, backend, frontend, and much more. If you’re experienced with various technologies, a fast learner and focusing on “get things done”, we’d love to hear from you!
- Work with the rest of server team to design and build a robust and flexible global platform.
- Work with the product teams to help deliver new features and innovations.
- Work with the infrastructure team to help enhance our server technologies and deployment processes.
- Building reusable code and libraries for future use.
- Implementation of security and data protection.
- Design and implementation of data storage solutions.
- Improve our existing solutions.
We are looking for someone who has:
- Experience with building scalable, high-performance backend services.
- Ability to lead a server-side project through the entire software lifecycle.
- Strong experience developing RESTful APIs and backend services.
- Good understanding of how frontend works.
- A commitment to high automated test coverage and clean code
- BSc Degree in Computer Science or related technical field
- 3-5 years experience as a server-side developer
Ideally, you’ll also have:
- Strong programming experience in Java
- Programming experience with node.js, Python or Scala
- Experience with Couchbase or other NoSQL databases
- Experience with Elasticsearch, Solr or Lucene
- Experience with PostgreSQL or other SQL database
- Experience with Docker
- Linux and scripting experience
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform or Amazon Web Services
- Experience working in an agile development environment
- Experience building scalable architecture
- Experience with Git, Git flow and code reviews
Kahoot! strives to offer a competitive benefits package to employees including share options and a personal learning and development budget.
As a global company with three premium offices worldwide (London, UK/Oslo, NO/Austin, TX), you will also have a network of locales to exchange between as you mature with the company.
A company laptop, big screens, fast internet connection and insurances shall be provided.
If this sounds like a good fit, don’t hesitate to apply! As a fast growing start-up, we’re enthusiastic to bring in the right fit as soon as we find them – then on to the real fun!