As a backend developer at Kahoot!, you will be part of the team that builds and maintains all server-side systems for our learning platform. We are ten developers enabling the playing of kahoots, the creation and discovery of games, and supporting communities of teachers and trainers in making learning awesome!
Together with the product teams, we are creating new features that help the Kahoot! platform grow, and we define the architecture that will support this growth in the future. The scale of millions of users and hundreds of thousands of games played every day globally brings a unique set of challenges that make our work interesting and rewarding.
Check out our new Kahoot! Tech Blog where we will be sharing a series of articles contributed by members of our Engineering team.
This role is reporting to the Engineering Manager – Backend Team located in Norway. The company’s HQ is in Oslo, Norway, but this position is based in Poland.
What we can offer you:
If you talk to anyone working in the Kahoot! Group, they will tell you that one of the greatest perks is being able to see how the work you do puts a smile on the face of kids, teachers, and learners all around the world.
As a fast-growing company, we’re enthusiastic to bring in the right fit as soon as we find them – then it’s real fun!
- A fast-growing environment with interesting technical challenges
- An international work environment with over 30 nationalities
- Medical insurance
- Pension coverage
- Remote work set up
- Buddy and mentorship program
- Social and company events (virtual and in-person)
- Salary range 11000-20000 PLN/month
Kahoot! is on a mission to make learning awesome! We want to empower everyone, including children, students, and employees to unlock their full learning potential. Our learning platform makes it easy for any individual or corporation to create, share, and play learning games that drive compelling engagement. In addition, our family of apps takes math learning to a new level and empowers children to learn to read through play. Learners of all ages can make language learning natural with immersive visuals and play through our Drops apps. Organizations can connect and engage their work teams with Actimo, our employee engagement platform. Launched in 2013, Kahoot!’s vision is to build the leading learning platform in the world. In the last 12 months, more than 250 million games have been played on the Kahoot! platform with 1.5 billion participating players in 200 countries. The company is headquartered in Norway with offices in the US, the UK, France, Finland, Estonia, Denmark, and Spain. Let’s play!
At Kahoot! we champion a positive culture of collaborative learning and innovation. With a team of more than 200 employees representing 30 different nationalities, we’re a diverse and fun bunch of people! We work hard and celebrate our wins, tackle challenges with original ideas and learn something new every day.
The values guiding us are: we are playful, we are curious and we are inclusive!
- Work with the rest of the backend team to design, build and maintain a robust, secure, and flexible global platform
- Work with the product teams to help deliver new features and innovations
- Work with the platform team to help enhance our server technologies and deployment processes
- Building reusable code and libraries for future use
- Take care of the development process from idea to production deployment and monitoring of our platform
- Experience with building scalable, high-performance backend services
- BSc Degree in Computer Science or related technical field
- 4+ years experience as a Backend developer
- Ability to lead a server-side project through the entire software lifecycle
- Good understanding of how front-end development works
- A commitment to high automated test coverage and clean code
- Experience with Java
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform, Amazon Web Services, or Microsoft Azure.
Ideally, you’ll also have experience with
- Other backend languages (Golang, Python, Scala, Node)
- Couchbase or other NoSQL databases
- Elasticsearch, Solr, or Lucene
- PostgreSQL or other SQL database
- Microservice Frameworks (Quarkus, Spring Boot)
- Apache Kafka and Event Sourcing
- Linux and shell scripting
- Agile development environment
- Git, Git flow, and code reviews
- Front-end development with React
Skills required for a remote position:
- A demonstrated ability to work independently and stay focused
- Effective (digital) communication skills (written and oral)
- Confidence to speak up. Our leadership works in a facilitating capability and is always open to hear about possible improvement areas/tweaks on the products
- Strong time management skills
- The ability to collaborate remotely with others
We look forward to hearing from you!