Kahoot! is a game-based learning platform that makes it easy to create, share and play fun learning games or trivia quizzes in minutes. Kahoot! is used in a multitude of settings – in K-12 and university classrooms, corporate offices, social settings, and major sporting and cultural events. Kahoot! is embraced by teachers, loved by students and valued by organizations and in 2018, Kahoot! had over 1 billion participating players in more than 200 countries. Kahoot! is on a mission to make learning awesome and build the leading learning community in the world. Launched in 2013, the company is headquartered in Norway with offices in the US and the UK. Let’s play!
At Kahoot! we champion a positive culture of collaborative learning and innovation. We’ve been growing steadily over the past year, and now as a team of close to 60, we’ve raised more fundings, updated our mobile app and launched premium products. Did you know that 97% of the Fortune 500 play Kahoot!? We all have an exciting journey ahead!
Your day at Kahoot!
You’ll be working across all of the Stack in Kahoot!. As a server-side engineer, you will work on products that affect millions of our users using various technologies including large-scale systems, big data platform, and distributed systems. We are looking for an engineer with ‘full stack’ mentality who is able to move quickly between low-level networking, backend, frontend, and much more. If you’re experienced with various technologies, a fast learner and focusing on “get things done”, we’d love to hear from you!
Check out our new Kahoot! Tech Blog where we will be sharing a series of articles contributed by members of our Engineering team.
- Work with the rest of server team to design and build a robust and flexible global platform
- Work with the product teams to help deliver new features and innovations
- Work with the infrastructure team to help enhance our server technologies and deployment processes
- Building reusable code and libraries for future use
- Implementation of security and data protection
- Design and implementation of data storage solutions
- Improve our existing solutions
We are looking for someone who has:
- Experience with building scalable, high-performance backend services
- Ability to lead a server-side project through the entire software lifecycle
- Strong experience developing RESTful APIs and backend services
- Good understanding of how frontend works
- A commitment to high automated test coverage and clean code
- BSc Degree in Computer Science or related technical field
- 3-5 years experience as a server-side developer
Ideally, you’ll also have
- Strong programming experience in Java
- Programming experience with node.js, Python or Scala
- Experience with Couchbase or other NoSQL databases
- Experience with Elasticsearch, Solr or Lucene
- Experience with PostgreSQL or other SQL database
- Experience with Docker
- Linux and scripting experience
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform or Amazon Web Services
- Experience working in an agile development environment
- Experience building scalable architecture
- Experience with Git, Git flow and code reviews
If you talk to anyone working at Kahoot!, they will tell you that one of the greatest perks is being able to see how the work you do puts a smile on the face of kids and teachers all around the world.
Here are some of the benefits we provide to our team members:
- A competitive compensation package
- Share option plan
- Paid maternity and paternity leave
- Travel insurance
- Home broadband allowance
- Mobile subscription
- Friday lunch and food contribution
- Subsidized Norwegian language classes
- Modern offices in downtown Oslo
- Friendly, international environment and after-work activities
- Relocation and settling-in assistance
Speaking of relocation – check our “Living and working in Norway” page and find out what makes this country awesome!