Learners of all ages rely on Kahoot!’s systems every day. With our recent expansion to corporate and language learning, our user base and traffic growth have been accelerating faster than ever before.
If you relish the hard challenges of operating and scaling distributed web systems, we are looking for an experienced Site Reliability Engineer to join our Platform team.
The Platform team at Kahoot! is responsible for keeping our systems running 24×7, helping our users to play and learn. We are a capable, but small team with big ambitions and hard challenges ahead.
These are some of the problems we have solved recently:
- Identifying a denial of service attack and mitigating its effects on our infrastructure
- Investigating and fixing performance bottlenecks in our main backend database
- Addressing email delivery problems affecting a large part of our user base
- Decreasing JVM memory usage in our long-running game server application
- Integrating external tools into our Slack workflow to help customer support teams work more efficiently
- Improving our build processes by migrating to Github Actions without interrupting development team activities
- Maintain and build data pipelines to migrate large amounts of data in the cloud
There are more in-depth articles about some of these problems on our Kahoot! Tech Blog, where members of our Engineering team share their experience.
This role is reporting to the Engineering Manager – Platform Team, located in Norway. The company’s HQ is in Oslo, Norway, but this position is fully remote from Poland.
What we can offer you:
If you talk to anyone working in the Kahoot! Group, they will tell you that one of the greatest perks is being able to see how the work you do puts a smile on the face of kids, teachers, and learners all around the world. On top of this, we offer:
- A fast-growing environment
- An international working environment with over 30 nationalities
- Medical insurance
- Pension coverage
- Remote work set up
- Buddy and mentorship program
- Social and company events (virtual and in person)
- Salary range 15000-20000 PLN/month
Kahoot! is on a mission to make learning awesome! We want to empower everyone, including children, students, and employees to unlock their full learning potential. Our learning platform makes it easy for any individual or corporation to create, share, and play learning games that drive compelling engagement. In addition, our family of apps takes math learning to a new level and empowers children to learn to read through play. Learners of all ages can make language learning natural with immersive visuals and play through our Drops apps. Organizations can connect and engage their work teams with Actimo, our employee engagement platform. Launched in 2013, Kahoot!’s vision is to build the leading learning platform in the world. In the last 12 months, more than 250 million games have been played on the Kahoot! platform with 1.5 billion participating players in 200 countries. The company is headquartered in Norway with offices in the US, the UK, France, Finland, Estonia, Denmark, and Spain. Let’s play!
At Kahoot! we champion a positive culture of collaborative learning and innovation. With a team of more than 200 employees representing 30 different nationalities, we’re a diverse and fun bunch of people! We work hard and celebrate our wins, tackle challenges with original ideas and learn something new every day.
The values guiding us are: we are playful, we are curious and we are inclusive!
Your main responsibilities as an SRE at Kahoot! will include the following:
- Support of our Product Teams to ship reliable and performant software with ease
- Continuous improvement of the reliability and resilience of our systems
- Troubleshoot production incidents and devise improvements
- Optimization and consolidation of our cloud presence
- Contribution of ideas, documentation, and code at all stages, from design to prototyping, implementation, deployment, and monitoring
- Participate in on-call duty for critical production systems
- Learning from and mentoring colleagues in the team
Operating distributed systems at scale requires an unusual set of skills that are difficult to find in a single person. In addition to that, at Kahoot! we have a broad range of technologies and languages. We rarely have the luxury to specialize in a single one.
As SREs, we are expected to deal with anything from programming to networking, Linux internals, system design, and more!
- 5+ years experience building and operating scalable, high-performance distributed web systems
- Programming fluently in two or more of these languages: Python, Java, Ruby, Perl or Go
- Advanced knowledge of Linux internals
- You have used Kubernetes for production projects
- You are familiar with TCP/IP and the most common network services and protocols
- Experience with cloud service providers such as GCP, AWS or Azure
- BSc Degree in Computer Science or equivalent technical expertise
The following would be desirable as well:
- Strong security background
- SQL Database design and operation
- Extensive experience with Kubernetes
Skills required for a remote position:
- A demonstrated ability to work independently and stay focused
- Effective communication skills (written and oral)
- Confidence to speak up. Our leadership works in a facilitating capability and is always open to hearing about possible improvement areas/tweaks on the products
- The ability to collaborate remotely with others
We look forward to hearing from you!