WHAT IS KAHOOT?
Kahoot provides a game-based learning tool that can be played through most web browsers (at http://kahoot.it) and through our App. A Kahoot game (referred to as a “Kahoot”) consists of players answering multiple-choice questions presented on the screen of the user who hosts the particular game or, in un-hosted games, on the screens of the participants in the particular game itself.
“Personal Information” is information that identifies an individual or relates to an identifiable person, including:
- Email address (required)
- Date of birth (required for students and social users)
- Company or organization (of work-related users)
- Financial information (required when signing up for Kahoot Plus “the Paid Subscriptions”)
- School or university (of students and teachers)
- Biographical information (for teachers who elect to provide it)
- Chosen username and password for Kahoot account (required)
- Profile picture
- Your interests (such as arts, biology, chemistry, history, music, law etc.)
- Your teaching level, if you are a teacher (such as kindergarten, grade level, higher education, etc.)
We need to collect and process Personal Information marked as ‘required’ in order to provide the requested Services to you, or because we are legally required to do so. If you do not provide the information that we request, we may not be able to provide the requested Services.
Personal information we collect
We do not collect any Personal Information from a person who merely plays a Kahoot except if you participate in a Kahoot! which is hosted using the Player Identifier feature. Further information regarding Player Identifier is included below. In order to be able to create and host a Kahoot, however, a user (“accountholder”) must create an account at https://create.kahoot.it/account/register/ or through our App. As described in more detail below, we may collect, use and disclose Personal Information from adult accountholders. An “adult accountholder” is a U.S. user who is age 13 or older or a user from outside the U.S. who is age 16 or older.
Our information practices are different with respect to younger users. Specifically, when a U.S. user who is under the age of 13 or a user from outside the U.S. who is under the age of 16 creates an account (a “child accountholder”), we collect his or her email address only for the purpose of providing password reminders to him or her. We collect no other Personal Information from child accountholders, and we immediately and permanently alter the email address such that it can only be used as a password reminder and cannot be reconstructed into its original form or used to contact the child accountholder. Kahoot also collects a user name and password from child accountholders, which are used for login purposes only.
Player Identifier is a game option that allows a host to track progress and scores of the players who have permitted you to do so. By default, the Player Identifier is toggled off, but can be enabled if your payment plan permits use of Player Identifier.
Player Identifier enables the host, and Kahoot!, to see the email address linked with the nickname of the player as well as the Kahoot! answers provided by such players. If you are a participant in a Player Identifier enabled Kahoot!, you accept that your nickname and email address or any other Personal Information requested by the host are connected and your answers being visible for the host (e.g. your employee number and your last name). This means that when you participate in a Player Identifier game, both Kahoot! and your host can see and store the email address or any other Personal Information you have connected with your nickname, as well as your Kahoot! answers. We process your Personal Information for the purpose of providing the Player Identifier functionality to the host. The Personal Information will not be visible for other players during or after the game.
Please note that the host using Player Identifier feature is the data controller of all personal data provided by the players in the host’s Kahoot! and therefore responsible for ensuring that such personal data is lawfully collected and processed in accordance with applicable legislation. Kahoot! will only act as a data processor with respect to any such personal data and will process and store this data on behalf of the host. The host is responsible for ensuring that any collection and processing of personal data from participants in a Player Identifier enabled game is carried out in accordance with applicable law, including e.g. having obtained consent from the participant, if required.
How We Collect Personal Information
We and our service providers collect Personal Information from adult accountholders in a variety of ways, including:
- Through the Services: We collect Personal Information through the Services, e.g., when you create an account, register your credit/debit card information and other financial data that we/our payment processors need to provide the Services, or populate your profile.
- Offline: We collect Personal Information from you offline, such as when you contact customer service.
- From Other Sources: We may receive your Personal Information from other sources, such as Google or Microsoft (if you choose to register using your Google or Microsoft account), public databases, joint marketing partners and other third parties.
How We Use Personal Information
We and our service providers use Personal Information for our legitimate business purposes, including the following:
- Providing the functionality of the Services and fulfilling your requests.
- To provide the Services’ functionality to you, such as arranging access to your account.
- To respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests, such as to send you newsletters.
- To complete your transactions.
- To send administrative information to you, such as information regarding the Services and changes to our terms, conditions and policies.
- To allow you to share Kahoots and initiate challenges through the Services, and to notify you when a Kahoot is shared with you, when a Kahoot you have created is featured to others on the Services, or when you have been invited to join a challenge.
We engage in these activities to manage our contractual relationship with you and/or to comply with a legal obligation.
- Providing you with marketing material that we believe may be of interest to you.
- This may include recommended Kahoots based on your general location and your use of the Services, subject to your consent if required by applicable law.
We engage in this activity with your consent or where we have a legitimate interest.
- Analysis of Personal Information for business reporting and providing personalized services.
- To personalize your experience on the Services by presenting products and offers tailored to you.
We provide personalized services either with your consent or because we have a legitimate interest.
- Allowing you to participate in sweepstakes, contests and similar promotions.
- We may offer you the opportunity to participate in sweepstakes, contests and similar promotions. Some of these activities have additional rules, which could contain additional information about how we use and disclose your Personal Information.
We engage in these activities to manage our contractual relationship with you.
- Anonymizing and/or aggregating Personal Information.
- We may anonymize and/or aggregate Personal Information so that it will no longer be considered Personal Information. We do so to generate other information for our use, which we may use and disclose for any purpose.
- Accomplishing our business purposes.
- For our business purposes, such as data analysis, audits, fraud monitoring and prevention, developing new products, enhancing, improving or modifying our Services, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns and operating and expanding our business activities.
We engage in these activities to manage our contractual relationship with you, to comply with a legal obligation, and/or because we have a legitimate interest.
How Personal Information May Be Disclosed
The Personal Information of adult accountholders may be disclosed:
- To our third party service providers who provide services such as website hosting, data analysis, information technology and related infrastructure provision, customer service, email delivery, auditing, payment processing and other services.
- To third-party sponsors of sweepstakes, contests and similar promotions.
- To identify you to anyone with whom you share a Kahoot or other messages, including challenges, through the Services.
- By you, on profile pages and other services to which you are able to post information and materials. Please note that any information you post or disclose through these services will become public and may be available to other users and the general public. We urge you to be very careful when deciding to disclose any information on the Services.
Other Uses and Disclosures
We also use and disclose Personal Information as necessary or appropriate, especially when we have a legal obligation or legitimate interest to do so:
- To comply with applicable law and regulations.
– This can include laws outside your country of residence.
- To cooperate with public and government authorities.
– To respond to a request or to provide information we believe is important.
– These can include authorities outside your country of residence.
- To cooperate with law enforcement.
– For example, when we respond to law enforcement requests and orders or provide information we believe is important.
- For other legal reasons.
– To enforce our terms and conditions.
– To protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you or others.
- In connection with a sale or business transaction.
– We have a legitimate interest in using, disclosing, or transferring your Personal Information to a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer, or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings). Such third parties may include, for example, an acquiring entity and its advisors.
Other Information We Collect
“Other Information” is any information that does not reveal your specific identity or does not directly relate to an individual, such as:
- Browser and device information
- App usage data
- Information collected through cookies, pixel tags and other technologies
- Demographic information and other information provided by you
- Aggregated information
If we are required to treat Other Information as Personal Information under applicable law, then we may use it for the purposes for which we use and disclose Personal Information as detailed in this Policy.
How We Collect Other Information
We and our third party service providers collect Other Information in a variety of ways, including:
Through your browser or device: Certain information is collected by most browsers or automatically through your device, such as your Media Access Control (MAC) address, computer type (Windows or Macintosh), screen resolution, operating system name and version, device manufacturer and model, language, Internet browser type and version and the name and version of the Services (such as the App) you are using. We use this information to ensure that the Services function properly.
Through your use of the App: When you download and use the App, we and our service providers may track and collect App usage data, such as the date and time the App on your device accesses our servers and what information has been downloaded to the App based on your device number.
Using cookies: Cookies are pieces of information stored directly on the computer that you are using. Cookies allow us to collect information such as browser type, time spent on the Services, pages visited, language preferences, and other anonymous traffic data. We and our service providers use the information only to support the internal operations of the Services, such as for security purposes, to facilitate navigation, to display information more effectively, to personalize your experience while using the Services and to recognize your computer in order to assist your use of the Services. We also gather statistical information about use of the Services in order to continually improve their design and functionality, understand how they are used and assist us with resolving questions regarding them.
Using pixel tags and other similar technologies: Pixel tags (also known as web beacons and clear GIFs) may be used in connection with some Services to, among other things, track the actions of users of the Services (including adult accountholders that may receive emails from us), measure the success of marketing campaigns and compile statistics about usage of the Services and response rates.
IP Address: Your IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to the computer that you are using by your Internet Service Provider (ISP). An IP address may be identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever a user accesses the Services, along with the time of the visit and the page(s) that were visited. Collecting IP addresses is standard practice and is done automatically by many websites, applications and other services. We use IP addresses for the purposes of providing support for the internal operations of the Services, such as calculating usage levels, diagnosing server problems, and administering the Services. We may also derive your approximate, general, location from your IP address.
From you: Information such as communications preference may be collected from adult accountholders when they voluntarily provide it.
By aggregating information: Aggregated Personal Information does not personally identify you or any other user of the Services.
How We Use and Disclose Other Information
We use and disclose Other Information for any purpose, except where we are required to do otherwise under applicable law. In some instances, we may combine Other Information with Personal Information. If we do, we will treat the combined information as Personal Information as long as it is combined.
OUR COLLECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION FROM CHILDREN
We do not knowingly seek or collect Personal Information from users under the age of 13 (for U.S. users) or 16 (for non-U.S. users). If we determine we have inadvertently gathered Personal Information from users under the age of 13 (for U.S. users) or 16 (for non-U.S. users), we will promptly delete any and all such Personal Information from our records.
We and our service providers collect information that is reasonably necessary to support the internal operations of the Kahoot! Service, as described below.
When a user who is under the age of 13 (for U.S. users) or 16 (for non-U.S. users) creates an account (a “child accountholder”), we collect an email address only for the purpose of providing password reminders. We immediately and permanently alter the email address such that it can only be used as a password reminder and cannot be reconstructed into its original form or used to contact the child accountholder.
To permit the child accountholder to use the Services, we also collect a username and password, which are used for login purposes only.
We and our service providers collect the information described above, under “Other Information,” from child accountholders; however, we restrict the use of persistent identifiers for children accountholders. Specifically, we utilize pseudonymous identifiers to understand, among other things, the volume of unique users using our Services, and we limit the geolocation information that we collect to no more precise than a city-wide area. Our collection persistent identifiers from child accountholders does not allow us to identify, contact or create a profile of such users.
The Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 (U.S.), the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (U.S.), the General Data Protection Regulation (E.U.) and other data privacy laws have been established to protect the privacy of minors. We take our compliance obligations under such laws, and the privacy of our users generally, very seriously.
If you would like to review the information we have collected from your child (i.e., his or her username and password), or if you would like to ask us to make no further use of, or delete, the information we have collected from your child, contact us as described in the “Contacting Us” section, below. In your request, please include your name and your child’s Kahoot! username and specify the action you would like us to take. For your child’s protection, we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request.
THIRD PARTY SERVICES
In addition, we are not responsible for the information collection, use, disclosure or security policies or practices of other organizations, such as Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, Apple, Google, Microsoft, or any other app developer, app provider, social media platform provider, operating system provider, wireless service provider or device manufacturer, including with respect to any Personal Information you disclose to these or other organizations.
We seek to use reasonable organizational, technical and administrative measures to protect Personal Information within our organization. Unfortunately, no data transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (for example, if you feel that the security of your account has been compromised), please immediately notify us in accordance with the “Contacting Us” section below.
CHOICES AND ACCESS
Your choices regarding our use and disclosure of your Personal Information
We give adult accountholders choices regarding our use and disclosure of their Personal Information for marketing purposes. You may opt-out from receiving marketing-related emails from us on a going-forward basis by clicking the unsubscribe link in any such email. In addition, in your user settings, you may opt-out of receiving emails letting you know that a Kahoot has been shared.
We will try to comply with your request(s) as soon as reasonably practicable. Please note that if you opt-out of receiving marketing-related emails from us, we may still send you important administrative messages, from which you cannot opt-out.
How you can access, change or suppress your Personal Information
If you are an adult accountholder and you would like to request to review, correct, update, suppress or delete Personal Information, restrict the processing of your Personal Information, object to the processing of your Personal Information, or if you would like to receive an electronic copy of your Personal Information for purposes of transmitting it to another company (to the extent this right to data portability is provided to you by applicable law), you may contact us in accordance with the “Contacting Us” section below. We will respond to your request consistent with applicable law.
In your request, please make clear what Personal Information you would like to have changed, whether you would like to have your Personal Information suppressed from our database or otherwise let us know what limitations you would like to put on our use of your Personal Information. For your protection, we may only implement requests with respect to the Personal Information associated with the particular email address that you use to send us your request, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. You may also delete your account by selecting “Delete My Account” when logged into the Services. You may also delete, when logged into the Services, any content or information that you have posted to the Services in the form of Kahoots that you have created. Please note that your actions cannot ensure complete or comprehensive removal of the content or information, as, for example, some of your content may have been reposted or repurposed by another accountholder.
Please note that we may need to retain certain information for recordkeeping purposes and/or to complete any transactions that you began prior to requesting a change or deletion.
We keep your Personal Information for as long as needed or permitted in light of the purpose(s) for which it was obtained and consistent with applicable law. The criteria used to determine our retention periods include (i) the length of time we have an ongoing relationship with you and provide our Services to you; (ii) whether there is a legal obligation to which we are subject; or (iii) whether retention is advisable in light of our legal position (such as in regard of applicable statutes of limitations, litigation, or regulatory investigations).
Your Personal Information may be stored and processed in any country where we have facilities or in which we engage service providers, and by using the Services you understand that your information will be transferred to countries outside of your country of residence, which may have data protection rules that are different from those of your country.
If you are located in the European Economic Area (“EEA”): Some of the non-EEA countries are recognized by the European Commission as providing an adequate level of data protection according to EEA standards (the full list of these countries is available here). For transfers from the EEA to countries not considered adequate by the European Commission, we have put in place adequate measures, such as standard contractual clauses adopted by the European Commission to protect your Personal Information. You may obtain a copy of these measures by contacting us (see below under Contacting Us).
We ask that you not send us, and you not disclose, any sensitive Personal Information (e.g., social security numbers, information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion or other beliefs, health, biometrics or genetic characteristics, criminal background or trade union membership) on or through the Services or otherwise to us.
701 Brazos St., Suite 102
Austin, TX 78701
Fridtjof Nansens plass 7
Because email communications are not always secure, please do not include sensitive information in your emails to us.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FOR INDIVIDUALS IN THE EEA
If you are located in the EEA, you may lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority competent for your country or region.