Discover how you can help your students stay safe and healthy and foster inclusivity in the classroom and beyond with this collection of engaging...Learn more
Kahoot of the day: Figuring out figurative language
Are your students learning to spot the difference between a simile, a metaphor, hyperbole and personification? This ‘Figurative Language’ kahoot makes it as easy as pie… so to speak 😉
1. Tangible examples!
It’s one thing learning the difference between types of figurative language, and another thing entirely to apply your knowledge to a real example. In this surprisingly tricky kahoot, learners need to quickly spot which phrases are similes versus metaphors or hyperbole.
2. Funny images to illustrate the content
We love how each example of figurative language is brought to life with a picture, and in some cases a picture that will elicit a giggle from students. Images tend to prompt more engagement in the classroom, and help make knowledge stick – especially for more visual learners.
3. Some questions make learners pause for thought!
Some of the examples are very straightforward, so we thought we were in the clear knowing to recognise textbook patterns like ‘as…as’.
Suddenly having to work out the correct answer for a more subtle example of figurative language (like the one below) was actually pretty tricky and made us re-think what we thought we knew!
Tips for playing or adapting this kahoot
- Try embedding video clips with famous quotes or scenes from favourite movies – having to actively listen out for specific types of figurative speech will really take knowledge to a new level
- If learners are focusing on a specific topic this term, try making a themed kahoot using examples inspired by that very same topic. For example, while studying the Romans, why not use examples like “Roman centurions were as brave as …”? Learners will build their understanding of figurative language while also deepening their subject knowledge.
- Follow up with a creative writing exercise!
You might also like:
- Kahoot of the Day: Quadratic Equations
- Kahoot of the Day: Martin Luther King / Civil Rights
- Kahoot of the Day: British Fashion
- Kahoot of the Day: Google Trends